If you’ve ever wanted to buy a vintage VW Microbus, do we have a deal for you. All original, including the paint and tires, and it even comes with surfboards. It’s a bit pricy at $45,000, but you’ll likely never have another chance to own one like this. Did we mention it’s a Hot Wheels vehicle?
In the world of toy collecting, there’s the rare and expensive and the just about nonexistent and jaw-droppingly valuable. In these cases, we’re not looking at mythical, unattainable asking prices (looking at you, world of Beanie Babies!). Instead, these are documented cases of real items actually selling for true prices. In some cases, the item may be the only one in existence, but in others, it’s just a very rare version for some reason.
Hot Wheels; The aforementioned VW is of course, the “rear-loading” Beach Bomb, an original model that went back to the drawing board to make it more compatible with various accessories. Only a handful of the narrow-bodied originals ever made it to the public, with this pink one being the cream of the crop most recently selling for a reported $45,000.
There’s an even rarer Hot Wheels car, the Custom Otto. The car was designed to mimic the generic blue car that graced the blister cards of the earliest redlines, but had never been produced as a model. In honor of Otto Kuhni, the artist who created that illustration, Hot Wheels made exactly one of this car, encrusted in Swarovski diamonds. It was sold for a reported $140,000!
In a kind gesture to collectors, Mattel has since released versions of both the Beach Bomb and the Custom Otto in more affordable versions. They haven’t hit the mainline pegs yet, but are in range of most enthusiasts of the brand.
Here are a few other articles featuring verifiable and/or anecdotal stories about other super premium cars…
- AutoWise – 10 Most Expensive Hot Wheels
- Car & Driver – The Most Valuable Hot Wheels Cars (for Now)
- Complete Set – The 10 Most Expensive Hot Wheels
- Complex – The 50 Best Hot Wheels of All Time
- History – These Vintage Hot Wheels Toys Are Worth Thousands of Dollars
- Hotcars – People Who Own Any Of These 25 Classic Hot Wheels Cars Could Be Sitting On A Fortune
- Money Inc – The Five Most Expensive Hot Wheels of All-Time
- The Gamer – Hot Wheels Cars That Are Worth A Fortune
- The Richest – 20 Hot Wheels Toy Cars That Are Worth A Small Fortune In 2018
- Twenty-Two Words – These Are The Most Valuable Hot Wheels Toys
If there are other good lists please add them in the comments! And maybe eventually somebody will combine all these lists into one Super List!